Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Can we get back into the swing of this, please?

Okay. So this whole blogging thing is funny. I don't really have time for it, but if I don't write something down, I fear I will miss these funny chronicles later. So for the record, today I learned that school in the afternoon needs to be VERY light for a 4 and 5 year old. ;)

I had given a brief, 3-second thought to doing a few school-type things with the girls this morning before leaving to meet Eric for the behind the scenes shark tour today. Then I had this funny feeling that if we didn't get there right at 10am when it opened, we'd be sunk. So I got the five of us fed and ready and in the car, grabbed some gas, and headed to the sharks! Only to wait in line and miss the tour cut off by two people. Bummer. We did thoroughly enjoy having Daddy come and see all the things we have been learning at the aquarium. It was fun. I always like having Daddy along for activities. Then we had lunch together...another fun treat we try to do together when we can. Especially during the week before Daddy leaves us for another long business trip.

So we arrived home this afternoon and my first thought was to grab the latest read-a-loud book, head for a bed to rest and read together. Then the girls started asking for school bc we hadn't done any that morning. They really wanted to do math games. I love that they love them! So I pulled out the "Weekly Schoolwork" bin, and rummaged to see what I thought we could mentally handle this late in the day. Ainsley found a few worksheets I had printed off that were a sample from a 2nd grade Math workbook. I knew that they would take major mental energy, so I mentioned waiting on them until tomorrow. Nope. Now there was a challenge on the table and she was all about setting out to see if she could beat it. Well, it did take awhile, but she completed it all on her own. I just want to say I was pretty impressed. So when I went to do something else, she said her brain hurt. I'll bet it did.

Emmalyn was eager to work on reading again, so I told Ainsley to grab a novel to read while Em and I worked through a page or two in her book. Emmalyn sailed through like nobody's business. She might be a kid who actually reads better after a morning of getting out the wiggles, whereas Ainsley and I like to start fresh and rest later on. This could make for some interesting dynamics. :) Oh, the fun!

All in all, I must say that things around here seem to run much more smoothly in the morning hours. I think most of it comes from the familiar routine we have established. Ah, the power of habit formation... I so need to re-read the Laying Down the Rails book and see what other fun things we might practice. Anyway, so I learned lots today... I learned that it's probably a good idea to stick to using the car-schooling ideas on our trips about town and to come home and spend the afternoons reading together. Ah, I love homeschooling. I really, really do.

I truly am blessed to be a mama who gets to educate her kiddos at home. It isn't always the easiest, but it is SO rewarding. I couldn't imagine life any other way - I've tried, but I can't comprehend it. Maybe that's God's doing, I have no idea. I just am grateful and humbled.

I don't think there will ever be enough words to express all that I feel about homeschooling - it's just beyond words. Perhaps until one starts the journey into exploring the world of home educating, it can't really be understood. I'm not sure. All I know is that I certainly didn't understand it before I was led to consider it for our family. It used to be so foreign. Although, I naively thought I had at least the major viewpoints figured out.... ya know, the "whys" of choices of homeschooling families. I still couldn't understand what would draw people to it in the first place. I thought they were mostly comprised of families who didn't want to be separated from their kiddos all day... or families who home educated bc they wanted to be the only major Christian influence in their kids' lives...or families who really wanted to see their kiddos grow in their knowledge. The truth is, all these things fit somewhere into the mix, but that's not the heart of it at all. Not for us. It goes SO far beyond that. It goes SO far beyond even educating... but falls more along the lines of life-training and rich family connections and moving beyond the fast pace of our culture... and, really, so far beyond these reasons. Like I said, it's just beyond words - but the feeling I have of immense gratitude and humbleness... It's tangible. Gosh, that God would lay this calling on my heart and give me all that is needed to step out in faith each day. Why would he chose to bless our family in such a way is beyond me. That He promises to take us step by step through this process, astounds me. I am nothing. I have nothing to give. He is everything.... and I get a front row seat. It's pretty incredible.... No words.

I am constantly amazed by how many blessings I have received in and through the process of our journey in beginning home education. I could have never, ever imagined walking this road even 5 years ago. I couldn't image my life any other way, today.

So among the many lessons I learn each day - from my kiddos and along side them. I am constantly reminded of how little I really know and how much of God I need moment by moment. I think that might be the richest part of the blessing - seeing in many, many details how much I am in need of God and His grace and guidance to get through each day.

Yep, I learned much today... I love my life. I love my hubby and family. I love homeschooling...and I really need to work school into the fabric of our morning routine if possible, but also that flexibility in all of life is a skill and a gift - one that needs embracing regularly.

So, all in all, it proved to me another successful family home educating day...

and we even got in Math and Reading even. :)

Off to read our read-a-loud to my giggling gulls in the other room. I love hearing their laughter. It truly makes me grateful to be their mama... living a full life - with lots of laughter. :)

Hope your day is filled with the awesomeness of God and His amazing grace and goodness...

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment





Copyright Information


All graphics, images and content on this blog (unless stated) are the property and copyright of harbaughhomeschoollife.blogspot.com.
No images or content may be used without my written consent.© 2009 All rights reserved.

Mostly because I don't want anyone who mights stumble across this page to use any photos of my sweet ones. :) Thanks!