Monday, August 10, 2009

And........we're off!!!

Alright. School is starting. Well, "school" is always in session around here... Alas, it's "officially" time to put into practice a few tidbits from the hundreds of hours spent reading, researching, dialoging, and a million other things I have done during the 4-year process of accepting God's calling to homeschool. Yes, this has been a gradual process for me. I didn't run toward homeschooling with open arms. God knew He had to start workin' on my heart early...but I'm here. Right where He knew I'd be. Praise Him! Anyway, I have prayerfully poured over homeschooling styles, techniques, philosophies, curriculum and what I know to be true is this: God doesn't very often call the equipped, but He faithfully promises to equip the called. Can you hear my big, "Halleluja!" and "Amen!" from where you're sitting?

Yes, I do have an idea of what life around here might look like. I say, "I" but rest assured Eric's been brought into numerous chats on what we'd like this to "look like" for our family. We have our plans: we seek to raise our children in an atmosphere that is steeped with God...that everyday offers an opportunity to learn and experience more and more of Him together. We don't want life to look like "traditional school at home" as this doesn't seem to be where God's leading for a plethora of reasons. We love the idea of using classical literature instead of textbooks as much as possible. There are many, many more plans and ideas we have for what lies ahead. How these things unfold in the day-to-day fabric of our lives, is the ultimate discovery. Let it be said, we have no hard and fast rules for this adventure...except for one. God is the final authority. It's His plan for our family...not ours.

So as we set out on this path He's set before us, there is a steady stream of random thoughts running through my mind. One thought stands out. Namely, this has very little to do with me at all. At least not in the greater picture. This is such a difficult concept to grapple with while living in the culture we do. Our culture declares daily,"Make sure you have time to do the things you want to do!" Does laundry count? No, seriously!?!

I have to admit I struggle with being selfish every single moment of my day. Remember, I didn't want to homeschool when God first "mentioned" the idea? This is definitely something I can't do on my own. It's a darn good thing I have His faithful promise to help. I just need to take one step and then another...all while keeping my eye on the prize. :)


In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful writing...you have such a gift with words, Lisa. Your children are in very good hands...God's hands and yours and Eric's hands as well. I look forward to reading your "journal" of this journey called "Homeschooling with the Harbaughs"! I honestly wish most parents would homeschool....our country needs this.

    ReplyDelete





Copyright Information


All graphics, images and content on this blog (unless stated) are the property and copyright of harbaughhomeschoollife.blogspot.com.
No images or content may be used without my written consent.© 2009 All rights reserved.

Mostly because I don't want anyone who mights stumble across this page to use any photos of my sweet ones. :) Thanks!