Monday, September 21, 2009

because we all need a peaceful place


I read on my new favorite blog, Holy Experience, about creating a physical place in your home to be your peaceful place. A place to go and meet the person who is peace.

Here's the link: http://www.aholyexperience.com/2009/09/make-peace-retreat.html - read it, you'll want to go make one too.

After I explained what this quiet, little corner of our busy home was to be, the kids looked as though they did not have a clue as to what I was talking about. Oh, but I love that God used a small moment to teach me this: Even with my best intentions, I fail. I fail miserably. But He, who keeps watchful eye over me, saw my heart at that small moment. He understood how badly I wanted to create this safe haven...this space where my littles could begin to better understand that when life seems too much...when they feel battered and bruised ... when they feel that even mommy has failed them... gulp... they are able to run straight to the waiting arms of a strong and knowing Savior who is eager to hold them tightly. Who promises to hold them till peace is restored.

He saw my crushed spirit as I gazed at their small faces, scooped them up and held them close. He listened to my quick plea for help. And He, being who He is, redeemed my failed attempt.

Hours later... Biggest sister said, "I'd like to go to our peaceful place to talk to Jesus awhile." I nodded. So she went, climbed up and got cozy with a hand-knit blanket and opened a child's bible that was waiting there. I lit her a sweet-smelling candle and left her to be alone with Him. She was lost in His arms for well over an hour. When she later appeared in the kitchen for a drink, she said with broad smile, "Jesus brings the bestest peace ever! He loves me so much, Mom. Did you know that? I love that place, Mom. Thanks for making a peaceful place in our house so we can go to Him any time we want."

I had a giant lump in my throat as I witnessed, once again, the truth of who God is...

I failed. He redeemed. He filled our home with Himself. He restored perfect peace. I did nothing. I simply offered Him what I had - a willing heart and a failed attempt. So like Him... making something so beautiful out of nothing...beauty from ashes.

Sometimes something tangible serves as a necessary reminder for each of us, big and small, that He is, indeed, always near... His sheltering arms are always available... He's ever ready to quiet us with His love and restore us with perfect peace.


Come, Holy Father, bless this home and all who enter it
.

3 comments:

  1. Your writings are "devotional in nature"!!Thank you for using this gift from God to glorify Him!
    Looks like everyone is having fun at "your school"...a special school...where God is the Center of all that you lay before your children. I'm smiling...can you tell? God is smiling too...can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Thank you for reminding me to enjoy my secret place and to make it available to all who dwell or enter here. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete





Copyright Information


All graphics, images and content on this blog (unless stated) are the property and copyright of harbaughhomeschoollife.blogspot.com.
No images or content may be used without my written consent.© 2009 All rights reserved.

Mostly because I don't want anyone who mights stumble across this page to use any photos of my sweet ones. :) Thanks!